Packing lunches. It's one of life's unrelenting chores. Perhaps that's why it's so easy to get stuck in a rut.
This packed lunch idea is both kid-friendly and delicious for us adults too. Vegetarian and with gluten-free options, this lunch is a filling plan-based (meat-free) meal.
In this lunch box we have:
- Spinach, dried Cranberry, and chickpea quesadilla
Celery (remove strings for kids under 5 years)
Guacamole (either store bought or homemade)
Homemade black bean brownies (vegan & gluten free)
Enjoy these recipes combined into one lunch or mix and match with your current favourites.
Spinach, Dried Cranberry, and Chickpea Quesadilla with Guacamole
- 2 whole wheat tortillas (for a gluten-free option, choose corn tortillas)
- 2 tsp mustard
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup spinach
- ½ can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Cheese (your favourite kind), sliced or grated (or use a cheese substitute for a vegan option)
- In a small bowl, mash the chickpeas.
- Layer ingredients in between the tortillas.
- Warm a pan over medium heat. Cook quesadilla in the pan for 2 minutes, flipping once.
- 1 large avocado
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ¼ cup diced tomatoes
- ½ a lime – juiced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cut avocado in half. Scoop into a small bowl. Mash.
- Add remaining ingredients. Combine well.
Black Bean Brownies
- 1 can black beans
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 inch x 9 inch baking pan.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Blend to combine.
- Pour into the pan. Bake for 16- 18 minutes.
Check-out more recipe ideas (including packed lunches): https://www.kristenyarker.com/recipes-1/
Recipe and Photo credit: Samantha Orr.
Brownies inspired by: https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/06/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/