Almost-Raw, Almost-Vegan Brownies Ingredients
· 1 1/2 cups raw walnuts (plus more for topping)
· 1 cup raw almonds
· 2 1/2 cups pitted dates (If dry, soak in warm water for 10 minutes then drain)
· 3/4 cup cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
· 1/4 tsp sea salt
GANACHE FROSTING (optional)
· 1/4 cup almond milk
· 1 cup dairy-free dark chocolate, chopped (or one containing diary if you are not vegan)
· 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
· 1/4 - 1/2 cup powdered sugar
· 1/4 tsp salt
Almost-Raw, Almost-Vegan Brownies Directions
1. Place dates in the food processor and process until only small bits remain. Remove from processor and set aside.
2. Place walnuts and almonds into the food processor until finely ground.
3. Add cacao powder and salt to the nut mixture in the food processor to combine.
4. Add nut and cacao mixture back into food processor and while processing, drop small handfuls of the date pieces down into the food processor or blender spout.
5. Process until a dough consistency is achieved, adding more dates if the mixture does not hold together when squeezed in your hand. You may not use all the dates.
6. Line a baking dish with parchment paper.
7. Add the brownie mixture to the dish. Place in freezer or fridge to chill for 10-15 minutes before cutting into even squares (If adding ganache, slice afterwards!)
FOR THE GANACHE:
1. Heat almond milk in a small saucepan until just simmering, then transfer to mixing bowl. Immediately add chocolate to warm milk and loosely cover. Leave for 2 minutes to melt.
2. Add salt and stir gently with a wooden spoon to incorporate.
3. Add melted coconut oil and use a whisk to mix.
4. Set in fridge for 10 minutes to thicken.
5. Remove from fridge and add powdered sugar a little at a time to thicken. Whisk again to combine. If it’s still too thin, add another few Tablespoons powdered sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
6. Frost brownies and top with walnuts/almonds (optional). Slice into even squares.
Recipe development and photo credit: Amazing student Alyssa Chai. Thank you Alyssa!